- 1859 Darwin’s “On the Origin of Species” was published.
- 1861 Rubidium discovered by Bunsen and Kirchoff
- 1867 Lister’s antiseptic method published in “The Lancet”
- 1869 Founding of the Norfolk and Norwich Naturalist’s Society
Over one and a half centuries ago, in 1869, a group of Norfolk people decided they would regularly meet under the name “The Norfolk and Norwich Naturalists’ Society”. Their purpose was recorded in their first “Transactions” as –
- The practical study of Natural Science.
- The protection … of indigenous species … the circulation of information which may dispel prejudices …
- The discouragement of the practice of destroying the rarer species of birds that occasionally visit the County, and of exterminating rare plants in their native localities.
- The record of facts and traditions … animals and plants …to prevent the extermination of existing species…
- The publication of Papers on Natural History … such as relate to the County of Norfolk.
- Meetings for reading and discussion … exhibition of specimens … Field-meetings … to extend the study of Natural Science…